Penn Treaty SSD to Award over $135,000 in Grants and Sponsorships
at the March 2017 Meeting
PHILADELPHIA –March 1, 2017 – Penn Treaty SSD (The Penn Treaty Special Services District [PTSSD]) is proud to announce Grants and Sponsorships to the following recipients:
- Friends of Penn Treaty Park — $60,000 to support the 2017 season
of community events.
- Gardenhub (co-sponsored by NLNA) – $33,941 to support a pilot program in which a collaborative garden hub employs people and technology in community gardens throughout the Penn Treaty Special Services District to optimize urban nutrition and workforce re-entry. Gardens include –Liberty Lands, Seedy Acres, Orianna Hill, La Finquita, and Port Kensington Farm.
- Fishtown Area Business Association (co-sponsored by NKCDC) – $17,000 (matching grant) to support for beautification projects along Girard Avenue.
- Kensington Soccer Club – $10,926 — to support their 2017 childrens soccer programs in partnership with Towey Recreation Center, Ludlow and Moffet Elementary Schools, Penn Treaty Middle/High School, and Laboratory Charter School.
- NLNA — $4,350 to support the costs of mulching Liberty Lands Park
and their 2017 Winterfest fundraiser.
- Kensington AmVets Post 146 – $3,500 to support their 2017 Golf Outing fundraiser.
- NLArts — $3,500 to support their 10th Anniversary Celebration.
The awards will be presented at the March 15, 2017 meeting.
Penn Treaty SSD, incorporated in 2009, is a 501(c)(3) community-based organization that works to enhance the quality of life for residents of the immediate neighborhoods surrounding SugarHouse Casino—including Fishtown, South Kensington, Old Richmond and
Funding — which to date has totaled more than $4.1 million — is provided by SugarHouse Casino through an annual donation. Allocation of funds is determined exclusively by the Penn Treaty SSD Board through a grant request form and a review process.
See more of what we do at our Facebook Page: Penn Treaty SSD
About Penn Treaty Special Services District
The Penn Treaty Special Services District (PTSSD) is a nonprofit organization formed by volunteers from the four neighborhoods named in the Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) reached with SugarHouse Casino in 2009. Contact: Katrina Mansfield, Secretary (215-574-9274) or firstname.lastname@example.org See also www.penntreatyssd.com
Gardenhub is an effort to reduce food waste in community gardens (from the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) City Harvest plots, as well as from individual community garden plots), get that food to local food donation sites (for the 2017 pilot, these will be the existing PHS City Harvest community centers and food banks where the pilot gardens currently donate their City Harvest crops), and provide internship opportunities for workers in transition (e.g. students, unemployed or underemployed local residents) to learn new, marketable job skills.
Contact: Jen Gold at email@example.com
About Fishtown Area Business Association (FABA)
Fishtown Area Business Association is a non-profit organization that grows and promotes local business in Fishtown and its surrounding neighborhoods by:
- assisting our neighbors through community involvement and events.
- establishing an active voice for our business community in civic matters.
- building referral and educational opportunities between local businesses.
Contact: Joanna Winchester, FABA Board Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends of Penn Treaty Park
The Friends of Penn Treaty Park is a community organization dedicated to preserving and enhancing the beauty and usefulness of historic Penn Treaty Park. Contact: A.J. Thompson at email@example.com
About Kensington Soccer Club
Vision: We believe sport is an important element in the development of every child. In sport we see an ideal tool to achieve other goals, for example informing people on healthy lifestyles and education and raising themes such as values, integration and cooperation. We realize that we serve a social interest and in addition to the young people themselves we also focus on their environment.
Contact: Dan Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Kensington Amvets Post 146
AmVets Post 146 strives to enhance and safeguard the earned benefits of all American Veterans who have served honorably and to improve the quality of life for them, their families, and the communities where they live through leadership, advocacy and services. Contact: Edward Hepworth at email@example.com
NLArts is a Philadelphia arts organization that expands each child’s appreciation for, and participation in, their community. This is accomplished through interaction with artists and educators in neighborhood-based performing and visual arts activities. NLArts provides innovative arts programs to children at weekend and summer workshops taught by local artists. Programs recognize and teach to children’s individual learning styles and interests by connecting them with the wealth of artistic, cultural, academic, and historic resources throughout Philadelphia. Contact: Natasha Mell-Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Northern Liberties Neighbors Association
The Northern Liberties Neighbors Association is a civic organization that advocates for neighbors, businesses, and visitors to Northern Liberties.
Contact: Janet Finegar at email@example.com or Michael Coyne at firstname.lastname@example.org